How to Install a Tile Floor In a Kitchen
Mix the Thinset
First, mix up approximately two gallons of thinset to cover the floor for the backer boards. The consistency should be like creamy peanut butter.
– Always wear eye protection when working with power tools.
– Wear a facemask when pouring dry thinset.
– Before ripping out older flooring have it tested for asbestos. Asbestos is dangerous when it is disturbed and becomes airborne. but abatement, or professional asbestos removal, can be expensive. If asbestos is suspected, covering the flooring with backer board, thinset mix and tile is an effective way to stop the asbestos from affecting your home and your family’s health.
– Mix only as much thinset mortar as can be used in an hour; otherwise it will dry out and will not be as effective.
– Set the tiles on the floor to grid out the space and to make sure there is enough to cover the area and also to see what cuts will need to be made. This is especially important for a specific pattern design.
– Make sure to buy enough tiles to cover your entire project, accounting for 1/2 pieces, scrap pieces or replacement pieces. Often tiles from a different stock look slightly different.