Kitchen Color Schemes
From a simple black and white kitchen to every other grouping of possible hues, picking the right combination will be easier if you follow our step-by-step guide.
7 Steps to a Kitchen Color Scheme
There are seven essential steps to take when selecting colors for your kitchen remodel. While often helpful, it is not necessary to follow these steps in order.
- Choosing cabinet colors: Kitchen cabinets typically take up 50% of your budget and occupy about 40% of the visual space in your kitchen. For these reasons, it’s best to start out by choosing a cabinet color that fits your personality and your home’s style before deciding the other colors in your kitchen.
MORE HELP: Feeling stuck? Take a step back and consider the overall effect you want. Do you crave a bright, welcoming kitchen or a luxurious gourmet theme? Review our kitchen galleries and kitchen styles to see what other designers have done. Below are some more articles, photos, and design ideas to help you develop your kitchen color scheme.
STYLE is an important factor when choosing a color palette for your kitchen. For example, a traditional kitchen can be made quite modern simply by adjusting the colors in the kitchen. Consider your style before finalizing the kitchen color scheme.
CABINETS occupy about one third of the visual space in a kitchen. Here are several kitchen cabinet colors to consider:
REAL WOOD is still the most popular option for kitchen cabinets. The natural grain and tone of wood strongly affects your kitchen color scheme. Here’s a list of cabinet materials, including popular woods:
» Exotic Woods
» Knotty Woods
» Painted Wood
» Plastic Laminate
» Red Oak
» Stainless Steel
» Quartersawn Oak
Popular Kitchen Colors
My clients often ask which colors are popular today and which colors are not as likely to go out of style tomorrow. Great question! Based on my own research sorting through thousands of photos of recent kitchen remodels, it would appear that:
1. Overall. today’s most popular kitchens feature wood cabinets (40%), followed by two-tone cabinets (30%), white and antique white cabinets (22%), and other cabinet colors (8%).
2. For wood kitchens. the most popular choices are medium stains (40%), followed by dark stains (28%), light finishes (26%), and trailed by whitewashes (6%).
3. For traditional kitchens. the most popular wood stains are fairly evenly split among Cherry/red-tones (40%), Walnut/brown-tones (31%), and Golden-brown stains (29%).
4. In solid-colored kitchens. the top paint colors include white (39%) followed closely by antique white (36%) and trailed by gray (7%), red (7%), black (4%), and “other” colors (7%).
GRANITE is by far the most popular countertop surface for kitchen remodels, and for good reason. With over 1500 colors to choose from, it’s easy to find some great options.
APPLIANCES can make a profound impact on kitchen color schemes. Stainless steel is an excellent choice, and white looks right in certain situations. Here are the top color choices for today’s kitchen appliances:
» Stainless Steel
» Wood Panel
» Red & Retro Colors
YOUR WALLS are like the canvas of a great painting. Because kitchen walls are mostly covered by cabinets and backsplashes, wall colors are often decided last. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t important! Be sure to brainstorm for ideas on treating your walls.
» Wall Colors
» Painting Ideas
» Wallpaper Borders
» Wall Decorating
» Wall Tiling