St. Louis Wrongful Death Attorneys
St. Louis Wrongful Death Attorneys
A death in the family is a very difficult time for everyone and although monetary compensation can never return a loved one or erase the lasting effects of the loss, it can alleviate many of the day-to-day problems confronted by families of a wrongful death victim. The experienced St. Louis wrongful death attorneys at the Zevan and Davidson Law Firm have helped families recover millions of dollars as a result of wrongful death cases. Our law office is located in Downtown St. Louis, but we handle cases involving wrongful death throughout Missouri and Illinois.
Common Types of Wrongful Death Cases
Wrongful death is different from criminal homicide. In a wrongful death case, the person to be found liable must have a duty of care to the individual that died and to have breached that duty by acting recklessly or negligently, thus resulting in the other persons death.
Some common types of wrongful death cases involve:
- Car Accidents On average, in the last decade there is close to 900 auto accident related deaths in Missouri per year.
- Truck Accidents Cars don t even stand a chance in an accident that involves a large semi truck and trailer.
- Motorcycle Accidents There are close to 100 motorcycle rider deaths per year in the state of Missouri.
- Medical Negligence Unfortunately this is becoming an all to often occurrence across the nation. Medical errors from doctors, nurses, pharmacists and many other professionals in the medical field are on the rise.
- Product Liability Corporations and businesses such as product manufacturers, distributors, suppliers and retailers need to be held accountable for serious and often fatal injuries caused by their dangerous products.
- Surgical Errors At times surgeons can be careless in their procedures and make serious errors that often result in the death of their patient.
- Nursing Home Abuse Unfortunately, elder abuse and wrongful death in elder care facilities is an all too common tragedy in Missouri Illinois.
- Occupational exposure to hazardous conditions or substances.
- Criminal behavior For instance, a death while a robbery is being committed.
- Death during a supervised activity Supervised activities such as, sports tournaments, a child s field trips, or other supervised activities
A Wrongful Death Lawsuits Main Elements
To bring a wrongful death cause forward and it be successful, the following situations must be present:
- A person must have passed away;
- The death must be due to another person or businesses negligence, or with the intent to cause harm or death;
- There must be a surviving family member that is suffering monetary injuries as a result of the loss of the loved one.
- Someone must be appointed as a personal representative of the decedent s estate.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits, Damages Compensation
Some of the damages that can be recovered in a wrongful death lawsuit are loss of future earnings the person would have provided, expenses related to the death, loss of benefits the person would have received, and possibly, punitive damages.
A wrongful death claim can be brought against a person who is liable for a death due to a negligent or wrongful act.
Frequently asked questions about wrongful death cases.
What exactly is a wrongful death?
A wrongful death lawsuit is a claim against a person, or business, who can be held liable for a death. It is a legal term for a case where the negligence or recklessness of another leads to a fatality. The responsible party may be liable under the wrongful death claim for any financial losses that result from the death. In Missouri and Illinois, there are only certain family members that can bring forth a wrongful death claim.
Contact us today at (314) 588-7200 for a free and private consultation if your family has suffered a wrongful death. You can also fill out our online contact form.
Updated: December 11, 2015
Rick Voytas is licensed to practice in Missouri and Illinois. He has been a practicing trial lawyer since 2002. His focus is on aggressively [Read More. ]
Birth injuries are an unfortunate reality faced by thousands of babies and their parents every year. Pregnancy is one of the most exciting phases [Read More. ]
It is important to understand the Missouri statute of limitations for birth injury claims and how it may affect your compensation. Most lawsuits [Read More. ]